Quotes and References

This post is dedicated to an article laced with leadership qualities, educational reform, collaboration, perception quotes, lifting students, communications. At first, I wanted to create this to combine my notes on several articles, but that led to a full posting, and I didn’t mean to lose out on the important message Peter Dewitt bestows.I will run through quotes and responses to this article.

It’s important to lead with coherence by Peter Dewitt

“What makes an initiative successful is not just the quality of it, but also how it has been researched, communicated and piloted before it ever was implemented.”

This is the hardest aspect of change. Transparency and communication often falter due to lack of communicating and developing a trusting relationship with your stakeholders.

If poor communication exists, you will have a toxic environment to follow. Toxic environments lead to a generation of students who have difficulty engaging in a career of learning.

“Collaboration as an end in itself is a waste of time. Groups are powerful, which means they can be powerfully wrong”    -Fullen and Joanna Quinn

Your mind has to be in the right places, and you cannot build change in toxicity. Read how to change this here:

Why Teams Turn Toxic, and How to Heal Them by Christine Riordan

“Fullan has well-documented the wrong drivers. Those Drivers are:

CharacterAccountability: using test results, and teacher appraisal, to reward or punish teachers and schools vs. capacity building;

Individual teacher and leadership quality: promoting individual vs. group solutions;

Technology: investing in and assuming that the wonders of the digital world will carry the day vs. instruction;

Fragmented strategies vs. integrated or systemic strategies.”

The reality is that change is consistent; even in the most mundane world. 

Published inLecture

One Comment

1. Melissa Usiak

I could hardly agree more with the dichotomy of fragmented strategies and integrated systems. You hear a lot of buzz about “laser like focus” yet I think that can be so challenging as schools are plagued with policy that pulls and tugs on resources and energy. I think a solution is continuously visiting shared values and beliefs.