Leadership Habits through the Eyes of Bill Murphy Jr.

It is incredibly easy to find motivation in a world that connects us by a simple swipe of a phone. Unfortunately, it is hard to emulate the leaders that produce this motivation and even worse it is hard for those leaders to continue to peak the interest of their readers or viewers.

In my short 30 years, I have followed (this is not a twitter reference) many leaders and have been in leadership roles that have lead to some great things. It is not because I am the most intelligent in the room (as I am far from it) or because I generate new and fresh ideas every day. I am however a thinker and when action is needed I am dependable and not afraid to lead through action.

Bill Murphy Jr. is a writer, entrepreneur and is self-proclaimed the “Luckiest man on the face of the earth.” Mr. Murphy has three specific articles that resonate with me and probably millions of his readers. The three article reviews (in the form of ugly sketch notes) below have made me seek out the type of leader I strive to be.

The first of the three articles

17 Things Navy SEALs Learn That Can Help You Succeed in Life Top advice for life from the most prolific members of the U.S. military’s most elite force.

“Lars Draeger says there four pillars of mental toughness: goal-setting, mental visualization, positive self-talk, and arousal control. We’ll tackle them in turn.”

10 Bad Habits That Make You Look Really Unprofessional
These rules are so straightforward and simple, and they enhance your credibility. Why do so many people ignore them?

IMG_2012To be flighty is to be fickle and irresponsible. Tell someone you’ll be at a certain place, or that you’ll accomplish a certain thing-and then never do it? Sorry, you’re flighty.

17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional
Unprofessional? Here are the behaviors that send the opposite, more positive message.
You don’t need to be hilarious, but you need a sense of humor; it demonstrates perspective.
Published inLecture

One Comment

1. Melissa Usiak

I, too, am finding such value in seeking leadership lessons from those outside of education. Thank you for sharing, Gabriel. I know what I need to work on for sure.